The Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators (SCBWI), in partnership with PJ Library, has established the Jewish Stories Award to encourage the creation of more high quality Jewish children’s literature.
Award: $2,500 will be awarded to the author of the manuscript deemed most promising for publication and for distribution by PJ Library. PJ Library will make every effort to partner with a publisher to have the manuscript published and to carry the book in the PJ Library program. This award is separate from and in addition to any monies received by the author from a publisher. The author will also receive tuition to the 2019 SCBWI Winter Conference in New York, as well as a transportation and accommodations stipend of up to $500.
Submissions for this award will only be accepted from September 1, 2018 through September 30, 2018. Submissions submitted before September 1, 2018 and after September 30, 2018 will not be eligible for this specific award. No resubmissions of manuscripts previously submitted to PJ Library, including manuscripts submitted to last year’s SCBWI PJ Library Jewish Stories Award, will be eligible.
The Quick Facts:
- Only new manuscripts containing Jewish content and submitted to PJ Library from September 1, 2018 through September 30, 2018 will be eligible.
- Previously submitted manuscripts may not be resubmitted for consideration.
- Manuscripts under contract or previously published in any way will not be eligible.
- Submissions will only be accepted electronically via a form, which will open on September 1, 2018 at 12:00 a.m. EST and close on September 30, 2018 at 11:59 p.m. EST. Submissions emailed to PJ Library will not be accepted.
- The author must be a member of SCBWI.
- Multiple submissions from the same author are eligible; however, only one manuscript may be submitted per a form; multiple submissions will require multiple forms.
- Submissions that reference the Holocaust, the death of a close family member, or are a reference book or workbook will not be accepted/eligible for the award.
- All manuscripts submitted for the SCBWI PJ Library Jewish Stories Award are automatically considered for the PJ Library program and do not need to be resubmitted.
- Manuscripts submitted specifically for the Jewish Stories Award are also eligible for the PJ Library Author Incentive Award (AIA).*
- For more information on PJ Library’s book selection process, submission guidelines, and book ideas, please visit the following webpage: www.pjlibrary.org/manuscripts.
Eligibility: The manuscript must be an original work of fiction or nonfiction written in English and geared toward children between the ages of 6 months and 8 years. Whether the manuscript exemplifies a Jewish value, takes place during a Jewish holiday, or addresses Jewish history, it must contain Jewish content. Reference books, books about the Holocaust, and books about the death of a close family member will not be considered. Text only and text with illustrations submissions are welcome. Text with illustrations submissions should include one finished piece of art and 2-3 sketches. (If submitting artwork, please include the text and artwork in one PDF or Word document.) The author must be a member of SCBWI and may submit more than one manuscript for consideration; however, manuscripts under contract will not be accepted.
Guidelines: All submissions will be accepted via a form only, which will open on September 1, 2018 at 12:00 a.m. EST and close on September 30, 2018 at 11:59 p.m. EST. Please note that the form requires complete contact information (name, address, email address, and telephone number), and that all manuscripts must be submitted as a Word document or PDF. Only one manuscript may be submitted per a form; multiple submissions will require multiple forms. Submissions emailed to PJ Library will not be accepted. The PJ Library Book Selection Committee will determine the finalists and a three-member panel of judges comprised of a representative from PJ Library, a librarian or other leader in the children’s book field, and an author, will make the final selection. The winner will be announced at the 2019 SCBWI Winter Conference in New York.
*Author Incentive Award: PJ Library is offering a separate award concurrent with the SCBWI PJ Library Jewish Stories Award. This unrelated award is the Author Incentive Award (AIA). Submissions for the AIA will be accepted from July 22, 2016 through December 31, 2018. All manuscripts submitted for the SCBWI PJ Library Jewish Stories Award are automatically eligible for the AIA, provided they meet PJ Library’s guidelines. Manuscripts do not need to be submitted specifically for the AIA since all submissions to PJ Library will be considered for this award. For more information on the AIA, visit the Awards section on the following webpage: https://www.pjlibrary.org/manuscripts.