On the latest episode of PJ Library's podcast, Have I Got a Story For You! narrator Rita Toomey practices two important mitzvot that are also key themes of Sukkot: welcoming guests and feeding the hungry.
One of the most fun traditions of the week-long holiday of Sukkot is enjoying meals inside of a sukkah. Eating in a sukkah is like having a weeklong picnic. It's always good to have sukkah-friendly snack recipes on hand for the week, especially if they're both portable and fun to make. Nachos, it turns out, are a perfect Sukkot meal. In fact, almost any meal is a perfect Sukkot meal, because this holiday isn’t about what we eat, but about where we eat it (the sukkah!) and with whom (guests!).
Enjoy this special recipe for sweet and savory squash nachos in your sukkah.
Listen to the episode:
Sweet and Savory "Day Off" Nachos
Recipe by Jennifer Stempel
- 2 cups finely diced butternut squash
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- 1 cup of fire roasted corn (If you're using frozen corn, be sure to thaw it out before you make this recipe).
- 1 15oz can of black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- 1 12 ounce bag of tortilla chips
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- On a sheet pan coated with cooking spray, add the butternut squash, olive oil, salt and pepper, and using your hands, toss to coat
- Bake for 10-15 minutes until the squash is fork-tender
- In a medium bowl, add the corn, beans, and softened butternut squash
- Sprinkle the taco seasoning over your mixture then toss to coat
- Using the sheet pan from before, spread half of the bag of chips in a single layer across the pan
- Top the chips with half of the corn, bean, and squash mixture
- Add 1 cup of cheese
- Repeat using the rest of the ingredients
- Broil your nachos for 2-3 minutes, or until cheese melts and chips turn slightly brown
- Serve with toppings of your choice (a few of our favorites are listed below
This Activity Works With These Books:
5 Books Celebrating the Jewish Fall Holidays
7 Super Quick And Easy Sukkot Activities
The PJ Library Sukkot Hub
September 29, 2020