You can make a clay menorah just like Sadie does in the story, Sadie’s Almost Marvelous Menorah. Craft-stick candles result in a safe, flame-free menorah project. Just be careful not to drop it!
This Activity Works With These Books:
- Air-dry clay (available at art-supply stores)
- Small bowl of water
- 9 craft sticks (one for each night of Hanukkah, plus the shammash)
- Acrylic paints
- Cover your work surface with a plastic tablecloth.
- Shape the clay however you like. Use water to smooth out cracks and help bind pieces of clay together.
- Use a craft stick to create holes for the “candles.”
- Put the shammash on a slightly higher piece of the menorah.
- Paint the craft sticks to look like colorful candles with yellow flames at the top.
- When your menorah has dried, you can paint it, too.
- Add another “candle” to your menorah on each night of the holiday. Don’t forget the shammash! Happy Hanukkah!
Make Your Own Menorah Ideas
Sharing Hanukkah at School
The Ultimate List of Children’s Books About Hanukkah
November 26, 2019