First-time campers may be eligible for awards of up to $1,000
Summer camp can be a transformative experience, providing children with the opportunity to make memories and friendships that last a lifetime. The mission of PJ Goes to Camp is to help children attend Jewish overnight camp for the first time by offering awards to qualifying families. PJ Goes to Camp is one of over 100 funders of the Foundation for Jewish Camp’s One Happy Camper® (OHC) program.
PJ Goes to Camp will kick off its award program for the 2022 camp season in early November. Applications will not be accepted until then, but we have outlined all eligibility and application details below for reference.
The eligibility requirements for these awards are very specific. In addition, PJ Goes to Camp will be using a new application process for the upcoming summer. Before submitting an application, please read carefully to make sure your family is eligible.
PJ Goes to Camp awards are made available through the generosity of the Harold Grinspoon Foundation (HGF) and its partners, the Azrieli Foundation, the Goldrich Family Foundation, and the Klaff Family Foundation.
To be eligible to receive an award from PJ Goes to Camp, a camper must be all of the following:
- A current or former PJ Library* subscriber or the sibling of a current or former PJ Library subscriber who was enrolled in PJ Library on or before September 1, 2021.
- Attending a nonprofit Jewish overnight camp** in the United States or Canada that is part of the Foundation for Jewish Camp's network.
- Attending overnight camp for the first time. First-time campers are children who have never attended a Jewish overnight camp for 12 or more consecutive days. Campers who attended a one-week “taste of camp” program are eligible to receive a 2022 award.
- Attending camp in 2022 for 12 or more consecutive days.
- A resident of the US or Canada.
*Throughout this page, PJ Library refers to both the PJ Library and PJ Our Way programs.
**A full list of participating camps can be found on the One Happy Camper website.
- There are a limited number of PJ Goes to Camp awards for 2022, and all awards are available on a first-come, first-served basis, regardless of whether camper attends Jewish day school or not. Once all awards are distributed, additional eligible applicants will be placed on a waiting list.
- PJ Goes to Camp provides awards in the amount of $700 for campers who attend overnight camp for 12-18 days or $1,000 for campers who attend camp for 19 days or more.
- Recipients who do not attend camp for 12 or more days for any reason will forfeit their award. Award originally made for $1,000 will be adjusted for campers who only attend camp for 12-18 days.
- Awards are distributed through the One Happy Camper program and are paid directly to the camp in the camper’s name.
- OHC program rules require camps to verify that each award recipient meets all eligibility requirements (including first-time status and session length) prior to the incentive being awarded.
- Award funds are distributed to participating camps beginning in May 2022.
- If the camper receives an award from another One Happy Camper sponsor, they are not eligible for PJ Goes to Camp.
- PJ Goes to Camp utilizes the Foundation for Jewish Camp's One Happy Camper central registration system to process all applications. That means, you just have to submit your application once with One Happy Camper to be in consideration for all camp awards available through the program. (i.e. PJ Goes to Camp, local community grants, etc.)
- The One Happy Camper application opens in early November.
- At that time, eligible parents will receive an email from PJ Goes to Camp with a unique access code to use on the One Happy Camper application.
- This code is unique to your family and cannot be shared with other families.
- Follow these steps if you did not receive an email from PJ Goes to Camp by November 22, 2021.
- Go to onehappycamper.org and click the “Apply Now” button.
- Enter your PJ Goes to Camp access code on the bottom of the first page of the application, then complete the rest of the application.
- In 3-5 business days, you will receive an email from PJ Goes to Camp to let you know that your application information has been verified and provide additional information about the next steps in the process.
- If we are unable to verify your child’s information, we will contact you for additional details.
- All applications are reviewed first-come, first-served, and we typically receive many applications so make sure you apply early!
- Once all PJ Goes to Camp funds are awarded, we will maintain a waiting list to utilize when/if additional funds become available.
Early November 2021
Subscriber parents receive an email with an access code to use on the One Happy Camper application.
When all budgeted PJ Goes to Camp grants have been distributed, additional campers will automatically be placed on a waiting list.
Beginning January 1, 2022
|PJ Goes to Camp verifies camp registrations directly with camps.
PJ Goes to Camp sends payments directly to camps.
PJ Goes to Camp is just one funder of the Foundation for Jewish Camp’s One Happy Camper (OHC) program. Program guidelines and restrictions of the OHC program will determine incentive eligibility and award and payment procedures.
The Harold Grinspoon Foundation (HGF) reserves the right to limit the number of PJ Goes to Camp incentive awards that are distributed through the OHC program and determine applicant eligibility based on available funds for each incentive award category. It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure that the application is complete and submitted within the time restrictions specified by the program and that they meet all eligibility and camp attendance requirements.
The HGF will be the final determiner of an applicant's PJ Library-related eligibility as well as the recipients of awards granted through the lottery system. In case of dispute, the decision of the HGF’s PJ Goes to Camp director shall be final.
- What if I did not receive an email with a code?
If you did not receive a code, please reach out to our customer service department at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that there are some communities that are ineligible for PJ Goes to Camp, so families in those areas will not receive access codes. Those communities are Dallas; Delaware; Houston; Madison, WI; Memphis; Miami; North Palm Beach County, FL; Palm Springs, CA; Phoenix, AZ; Toronto, ON; and parts of Arkansas.
- Can multiple children from the same family receive awards?
Yes! Families may request and receive an incentive award for more than one child if each one is attending camp for the first time. You will use the same access code for all the children in your family.
- Does PJ Goes to Camp award incentives based on financial need?
No. PJ Goes to Camp is a general incentive program not tied to financial need.
- Can I receive an award from PJ Goes to Camp in addition to (or in place of) a One Happy Camper grant from my local community?
No. PJ Library subscribers who live in a community that locally sponsors the OHC program and who meet the local program's eligibility criteria, will be directed to their community program when filling out the OHC grant application. Should your child be eligible for a local grant, the rules and terms of your grant will be determined and controlled by the rules of that organization, not by PJ Goes to Camp.
- Are there areas of the US or Canada where residents are NOT eligible for an award from PJ Goes to Camp?
Yes. Dallas; Delaware; Houston; Madison, WI; Memphis; Miami; North Palm Beach County, FL; Palm Springs, CA; Phoenix, AZ; Toronto, ON; and parts of Arkansas are communities that have chosen not to participate in the OHC program. As a result, applicants from those communities are not eligible for awards through PJ Goes to Camp.
The communities of Cincinnati; Cleveland; Kansas City; New Orleans; Orange County, CA; and Western Massachusetts provide locally administered incentive grants. Applicants from these six communities will be directed to their local first-time incentive program coordinator instead of PJ Goes to Camp.
- My child attended camp last year but did not receive a PJ Goes to Camp award. May we apply for an award this year?
Possibly. The PJ Goes to Camp program is only for children attending camp for the first time in 2022. However, if your child attended overnight camp for fewer than 12 days in 2021 they are eligible to receive an award in 2022.
- What if my child is not eligible for an award through PJ Goes to Camp?
Even if you are not eligible for an award from PJ Goes to Camp, there still may be other funding available to you. Check out your options and eligibility by filling out an application on the Foundation for Jewish Camp’s OHC website.
- I have already paid (or I am required to pay) the camp in full. Can the PJ Goes to Camp award be sent to me?
No. Funds are distributed to the camp on behalf of the camper. You will receive formal notification of the award and should use that notification in lieu of that payment to the camp.
- What if my child receives an incentive award for 2022 but does not attend camp, either by our choice or because the camp does not operate?
First-time incentive awards granted for 2022 but not paid to camps will be withdrawn. Campers whose grants are withdrawn may apply for a grant in a subsequent year under the terms and conditions of the grant and applicants for the year in which they request an award. The OHC operating agreement with camps requires them to return awards paid on behalf of any camper who does not attend camp for a minimum of 12 days.
For additional questions, please email email@example.com. If you call, please leave a phone number and email address where you can be reached.