Parenting is a journey that’s best shared with friends, and one way to do that is through a reading (and of course, conversation) group.
We’re excited to share the new book, Becoming a Soulful Parent by Dasee Berkowitz. This is not a parenting how-to book. It does not offer the usual advice or add to your already long to-do lists. Instead, this book covers intergenerational relationships, co-parenting, parenting during a pandemic, and a host of other topics to help you strengthen “muscles” that are essential for both parents and children throughout their lives — muscles like love, listening, empathy, and curiosity.
Ideas to help you make this experience great:
- Invite your friends. Remember, a Together Experience should include at least two, but no more than five, other Jewish families.
- Order your books from the Soulful Parent website as soon as possible to allow for delivery time.
- Choose how you will connect. There are many options for virtual interactive gatherings including Zoom, Facetime, and Google Hangouts.
- You can take it one section at a time or skip around to the chapters that resonate the most with you and your group. Remember, there are no book reports or quizzes. This is for your benefit and is only intended to decrease stress!
- Read this letter from the author and follow the discussion questions and prompts already built into the book. Keep a notebook nearby to jot down any thoughts or questions you want to share with your group.
- Join author Dasee Berkowitz at these upcoming events for additional inspiration and wisdom.
Suggested ways to spend your Together Experience host reimbursement:
- Order books for all members of your book club.
- Treat yourself to some delicious snacks. Try this website to allow your friends to choose their own! (Our shopping suggestions aren’t endorsements, just some staff favorites. PJ Library isn’t affiliated with these vendors.)
- Buy a beautiful journal to document your thoughts as you read.
Get started with our Tips to Hosting a Family-Friendly Virtual Together Experience.
Make sure to submit your host application by May 1, 2021. To apply, you’ll need to copy and paste your personal application code, which you’ll find in the Together Experiences emails in your inbox.
Hosts will receive instructions on submitting a post-event report. That’s where you can request up to $50 in reimbursement for hosting expenses. Note that only first-time hosts can receive reimbursement, but your family can host as many Together Experiences as you’d like. Be sure to complete your event and submit a report by May 31, 2021. A limited number of Together Experiences are available for reimbursement, and we can only offer one host reimbursement per family.